- 12 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise, seeds (not cores) removed
- 1/4 cup good olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 16 ounces fresh salted mozzarella
- 12 fresh basil leaves, julienned
Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F.
Arrange the tomatoes on a sheet pan, cut sides up, in a single layer. Drizzle with 1/4 cup of olive oil and the balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle with the garlic, sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Roast for 2 hours until the tomatoes are concentrated and begin to caramelize. Allow the tomatoes to cool to room temperature.
Cut the mozzarella into slices slightly less than 1/2-inch thick. If the slices of mozzarella are larger than the tomatoes, cut the mozzarella slices in half. Layer the tomatoes alternately with the mozzarella on a platter and scatter the basil on top. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper and drizzle lightly with olive oil. Serve at room temperature.
Green Beans with Goat Cheese, Tomatoes, and Almonds
Prep Time: 21 minutes
Other: 6 minutes
Yield: Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 pounds haricots verts (tiny green beans), trimmed
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar*
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 (4-oz.) goat cheese log, crumbled
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Bake almonds in a single layer in a shallow pan 6 to 8 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through.
2. Cook green beans in boiling salted water to cover 6 to 8 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Plunge beans into ice water to stop the cooking process; drain.
3. Whisk together vinegar and next 3 ingredients in a large bowl; add olive oil in a slow, steady stream, whisking constantly until blended and smooth. Add cherry tomatoes, shallots, garlic, and green beans; toss to coat.
4. Top green bean mixture with crumbled goat cheese and toasted almonds.
*White wine vinegar may be substituted.
Pasta with Tomatoes and Mozzarella
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Yield: 4 Servings
Cost per Serving: $2.47
- 1 pound bow-tie pasta
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, each cut in half
- 1/2 cup prepared pesto
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup torn fresh basil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Prepare pasta according to package directions, undercooking by 1 minute. Drain pasta and return to pot. Add tomatoes, pesto, mozzarella and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
Mix well, cover and set aside off heat until cheese has started to melt, about 2 minutes. Stir in basil and Parmesan. Serve immediately.